Website Manitoba Theatre For Young People
Manitoba Theatre for Young People is the only professional theatre company devoted to young people in Manitoba. Since 1982, MTYP has been creating and presenting professional, innovative theatre productions for children and families.
MTYP has a proven record of working with culturally diverse artists to create compelling and relevant programming. With an operating budget of two million dollars, MTYP reaches over 90,000 people each year. The company presents a seven play season as part of its mainstage series and annually tours two plays to Manitoba schools.
MTYP is home to a vibrant theatre school where over 1,500 children and teens learn the art and craft of theatre and related disciplines. Additionally, MTYP partners with Indigenous artists and leaders to create meaningful opportunities for Indigenous youth in our community through Native Youth Theatre.
The company’s home is the MTYP Performing Arts Centre located at The Forks in the heart of Winnipeg on Treaty 1 land and in the heart of the Metis nation. This 28,000 square foot facility designed specifically for young audiences features a fully re-configurable theatre, classroom studies and production and wardrobe shops.
MTYP is seeking an experienced and innovative hands-on individual to lead the administrative functions and activities of the company. This position will appeal to an individual who has held progressively responsible positions with not for profit arts/cultural organizations, has a knowledge of theatre operations, and a keen interest in developing and sustaining an organization that has a positive provincial impact and contributes to the arts and education in Manitoba.
The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors and works in partnership with the Artistic Director to ensure the successful execution of the organization’s mandate and strategic plan in order to fulfill the company’s vision. The General Manager is accountable for the execution of administrative activities of the company, which include all aspects of financial planning, monitoring, and for the overall fiscal health of the organization.
The General Manager also takes responsibility for Human Resources functions for MTYP and in particular leads and actively manages the marketing, sales, and development activities of the company. Additionally, the General Manager oversees the operation of the company’s owned building including maximizing revenues through promotion and rental of the theatre spaces, ensuring the facility is properly maintained, and developing annual and long-term facility plans that include maintenance and capital improvements.
The ideal candidate will be independent, resourceful and knowledgeable about theatre for young audiences, and will demonstrate the following qualifications and experience:
- Post-secondary education in arts administration or suitable combination of education and experience, and knowledgeable of the local and Canadian performing arts communities
- Demonstrated management and administrative experience including office systems, budgets, finance, and marketing
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing development activities
- Experience in managing staff both unionized and non-unionized
- Knowledge of theatre operations and prior experience in facilities management would be an asset
- Experience in grant writing and reporting to government/arts councils, granting, and funding agencies
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing contracts
- Experience with implementation of strategic plans
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong, effective relationships, both internally and externally
- Knowledge of and experience working with Boards of Directors
- Previous involvement with capital campaigns would be an asset
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit a covering letter and resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org prior to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, September 8, 2017.
Manitoba Theatre for Young People embraces diversity in the workplace, is committed to employment equity, and encourages applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com