Website The Uniter
deadline: August 16 at 12:00pm
The Uniter is seeking a dedicated, artistic and well-connected person to fill the role of arts and culture editor. This person should have experience and a passion for writing about such topics as music, film, dance, fashion, literature, food, visual art and more.
Successful candidates should feel comfortable running a team of contributors, assigning and editing their work, providing feedback, organizing meetings and building relationships with Winnipeg’s diverse arts and culture scene.
Applicants should have a flexible schedule and be available for editorial meetings, section meetings and mentorship during the regular academic year (late-August to early December/January to April.) Daytime meetings usually occur on Thursdays.
This position pays $250/week. The arts and culture editor will begin their term in August (date TBD, ASAP).
- Should have at least 2 years experience in arts and culture writing
- Must have experience editing
- Ability to multitask, make decisions and work independently
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Knowledge of google docs
- Ability to oversee, mentor and lead a team of staff and volunteers
- Ability to maintain deadlines
- Work closely with managing editor to construct weekly story lists
- Assign and collect writing assignments on a weekly basis
- Ensure section is filled and balanced on a weekly basis
- Provide constructive feedback to contributors within section
- Must attend editorial meetings
- Work closely with copy and style editor to ensure all work is factual and formatted properly for print
- Relationship to colleagues:
- Reports to managing editor and business manager
- Supervises arts and culture reporters and section volunteers
- Collaborates with copy and style editor, volunteer coordinator and photo team
Interested parties should submit a resume including references, CV, a cover letter and at least three published works by noon on August 16, 2019. Application packages should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver application packages in person to:
THE UNITER ORM14 Bulman Centre 515 Portage Avenue Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9
For more information, contact managing editor Thomas Pashko at email@example.com or (204) 988-7579.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.