Website Portage & Main Press/HighWater Press
Deadline: October 7, 2022
Portage & Main Press/HighWater Press (PMP/HWP) is looking for an enthusiastic and resourceful candidate to join our team in the new position of Marketing Strategist.
We are looking for a candidate who is creative, organized, communicative, deadline-oriented, and hard-working. The Marketing Strategist will work closely with the PMP/HWP sales, marketing, and publicity teams to deliver effective marketing campaigns that support our forthcoming titles (15–20 titles per year) and engage consumers. The successful candidate will develop and execute plans for strategic consumer outreach, bringing new ideas to the table and thinking outside of the box. This is an exciting opportunity that requires creativity, collaboration, and a passion for books.
The position is 40 hours per week with a comprehensive benefits package, paid vacation time, and additional paid days off when the office is closed for the last week of December. Salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience. The successful candidate may work flexible office hours, either remotely within Canada or in the Winnipeg office. Our team includes a mix of remote and in-office staff, and the successful candidate will be communicating with colleagues primarily via email, phone, and Google Meet.
Portage & Main Press/HighWater Press is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. If you self-identify as Indigenous, Black, a person of colour, a person living with a disability, or as a member of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community or another marginalized group, we strongly encourage you to apply.
What You’ll Do (Responsibilities)
Key duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate with the editorial, sales, marketing, and publicity teams to develop marketing plans for PMP/HWP titles, with a focus on creative strategies, audience development, author brand management, and book sales.
- Conduct market research, follow trends, and use insights to surface opportunities for PMP/HWP books and authors regardless of format or publication date.
- Create and execute marketing plans for all forthcoming titles.
- Work closely with the publicity team to plan social media and digital strategies each season.
- Allocate and monitor the annual marketing budget, as well as budgets for special projects.
- Pursue creative ways to place content and promote PMP/HWP books in online and offline channels and via events.
- Explore potential collaborations or partnerships to get PMP/HWP books into the hands of readers.
- Liaise with counterparts from our U.S. and U.K. distributors to develop and coordinate plans to ensure that focus titles reach the broadest possible readership.
- Coordinate with editorial, marketing, sales, and publicity teams on key deadlines.
- Ensure all marketing and social media campaigns support PMP/HWP values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Actively commit to continuous learning and professional development related to marketing and promotion, conscious language, and industry trends.
- Contribute as needed to grant applications related to marketing plans, campaigns, and strategies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experiences You’ll Bring (Qualifications)
- 2+ years of marketing experience in the publishing industry
- Analytical yet creative thinker with a passion for sales numbers and brainstorming campaigns.
- A creative eye, with experience adhering to brand guidelines in the creation of promotional materials.
- A collaborative working style with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong awareness and understanding of digital and social platforms.
- An inclusive approach, supported by cultural competency and a proven ability to collaborate with people and communities who have faced marginalization.
- Strong project-management and problem-solving skills, including attention to detail, balancing and prioritizing a variety of projects, and working effectively within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently without close supervision, as well as to collaborate with colleagues on the marketing, sales, and publicity team and in the company at large.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (advanced skill in Excel and PowerPoint) and Google Suite, and an ability to learn new platforms and organizational tools, as needed.
- Experience with BookNet Canada SalesData and Bookmanager platforms.
- Experience planning and executing marketing plans and campaigns for a variety of different titles, genres, and audiences.
- University degree, post-secondary education, or professional development related to book publishing, marketing, or communications.
- Experience proactively implementing improvements to procedures and systems.
- Significant interest in conscious language and experience working with culturally sensitive and/or Indigenous-authored projects.
About Portage & Main Press/HighWater Press
Portage & Main Press publishes a wide range of innovative and practical educational resources. Independent, Canadian, and woman-owned since 1967, we support dynamic learning communities by bringing together authors, educators, and K–12 students. Our books inspire child-centred, inclusive learning while prioritizing Indigenous and marginalized voices. These materials include comprehensive teacher guides, hands-on and inquiry-based resources, and texts to support inclusive classrooms.
HighWater Press, an imprint of Portage & Main Press, publishes award-winning stories by emerging and established Indigenous writers. We work to honour and support Indigenous resurgence by amplifying diverse narratives that share joy, creativity, strength, bravery, and community. HighWater Press books feature compelling stories and exceptional production quality through a rich mix of non-fiction, graphic novels, and children’s literature.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to Catherine Gerbasi, Publisher, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 5:00 pm CT on October 7, 2022. Online interviews will be scheduled in October, with a target start date of November 7, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of applications. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.