Website Prairie Theatre Exchange
deadline: November 30, 2020
For 47 years, Prairie Theatre Exchange has been an integral part of Manitoba’s arts and cultural infrastructure and a catalyst in the development of innovative contemporary theatre and drama education. We are seeking a visionary leader for the role of Managing Director to work jointly with our artistic director to expand, deepen, and invigorate the company’s relevance in not only our municipal and provincial arts ecology, but also nationally.
PTE is in a powerful state of upheaval. The COVID-19 pandemic and the growing social justice and human rights movements have given us the opportunity to examine, fundamentally, who we are as a company and who we would like to be. In addition to the pandemic and the movement, the Portage Place Mall where our theatre lives has recently been sold and as a result we will be a part of changing architecture (and a changing Downtown). And now, we are inviting a new leader into the company. In many ways, we are inspired by our existing model while also being keenly aware that this is a time to change the model, to invent a new way of seeing the company operationally, physically, and artistically.
The mission of our theatre is to create great theatre, to offer theatre education, to be a home for new work, for Manitoban work/artists, and to support our artistic community in every way available to us. Our new Managing Director will be an integral part of this mission and will help to define how we meet it. For more information about our commitments to anti-racism work, please visit our website at: https://www.pte.mb.ca/anti-racism-commitments
About Prairie Theatre Exchange:
Operating within a $2.2 million dollar budget, the company has an excellent track record of stability and is known as a great place to work.
We have a full-time staff of 8, a seasonal staff of 7, in addition to all of the artists and contractors that we work with throughout the season.
Prior to this season, our season included 5 mainstage productions, a family holiday play, a TYA tour (which tours throughout Winnipeg and Manitoba), a LEAP series of 2 – 3 plays, the Festival of New Works and theatre education providing professional development as well as recreational classes for youth and adults. To assist and encourage artists, PTE supports two Playwright Units that include a mix of new and established playwrights who encompass a broad range of personal experience.
This season we are premiering two new works, are presenting a local company, are filming a world premiere production, and have dedicated our space and resources to professional development opportunities and residencies.
The Managing Director is responsible for:
• Managing and administering the overall operation of PTE;
• Development, implementation and oversight of the budget as approved by the Board;
• Leading and staffing the accounting, box office, front of house, touring, marketing, communications and development departments;
• Ensuring the growth, development and engagement of the team;
• Managing all personnel and human resource-related issues and keeping the Board apprised of any matters which may require the Board’s attention.
• Developing new and innovative arts management practices while keeping a pulse on national and international trends in the theatre ecology.
The Managing Director will be a dynamic leader with:
• Leadership experience (or evidence of work experience developing skills outlined above) with the ability to balance day to day responsibilities while executing on high-level strategic objectives.
• Exceptional relationship management ability with diverse stakeholders including the Board, funders, government, donors, private sector, the arts community, and general public.
• Compelling communication skills and a history of successful grant writing.
• Experience in fundraising would be an asset, but not required.
We truly believe that our theatre can be an agent for change in the theatre in our province. The Managing Director of PTE will be integral to this potential. We would like for this process to be as collaborative and open as possible and welcome any and all questions about the company from prospective applicants.
We are committed to reflecting the diversity of our community and strongly encourage IBPOC candidates or candidates from other marginalized communities to apply. We believe in equity and inclusion and as such encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
Our General Manager or Artistic Director are happy to speak at length about the company, its history, present, and goals.
Board Members: Jane Helbrecht (President), Melissa McAlister, Ryan Palmer (Treasurer)
PTE Staff: Thomas Morgan Jones, Artistic Director
Artistic Community Members: Debbie Patterson, Eric Plamondon, Hazel Venzon, Liam Zarrillo
The deadline for submission is November 30th, 2020.
The ideal start date for this position would be April 2021.
Application Information: To apply for this opportunity, please submit your resume and letter of interest to the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those under further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.