Website Royal Winnipeg Ballet
Deadline: October 7, 2022
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet teaches, creates and performs, enriching lives through the power of exceptional dance…become a part of that power…
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is seeking a full-time Seamstress/Seamster to join our team. This position is ideal for those who have with experience working in a costume or theatre environment, have a passion for creating beautiful pieces, and take pride in delivering quality work. With your exceptional time management, effective communication, and detail-oriented mind you will thrive in this role.
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is committed to an inclusive and diverse environment that values, respects and supports all individuals. We aim to have a workforce representative of the diversity within our community and welcome and encourage applicants from various backgrounds, including women, Indigenous persons, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual and gender identities and others who may contribute to further diversification endeavours.
As a Seamstress/Seamster, you work under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Wardrobe and are responsible for the sewing quality standards of the Wardrobe Department. In this role, you build and repair costumes and prepare for fittings.
Highlighted Duties Of The Role
- Apply appropriate sewing and alteration techniques.
- Independently build basic garments.
- Select proper threads and needles for projects.
- Deliver completed product for fittings.
- Wash and pre-shrink materials prior to use.
- Smooth seams with heated irons.
- Measure and align parts, fasteners, or trimmings by following seams, edges, or markings on parts.
- Sew buttonholes.
- Add or replace trim.
- Utilize serger, zigzag, and straight industrial machines.
- Comply with Safety and Health policies and procedures.
The Wardrobe department is a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and requirement to meet multiple deadlines. This position works with standard sewing equipment and sits for long periods of time while bending over a table to complete work. The Seamstress/Seamster position works under a Collective Agreement with I.A.T.S.E Local 63.
What You Bring
- High School Diploma.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a costume shop or professional theatre company.
- Knowledge of alteration techniques.
- Basic knowledge of patterns and fit.
- Ability to dye fabrics is a strong asset.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Experience working with a variety of fabrics and fittings.
- Capable of utilizing various industrial sewing machines.
If you are qualified for this position, visit https://www.rwb.org/who-we-are/careers-and-auditions/ for application instructions. Candidates must submit a cover letter that showcases your personality and fit for the role and resume. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is committed to providing accessible employment while ensuring our recruitment process is barrier-free. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates participating in all aspects of the assessment and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be sent to email@example.com.
Closing Date: October 7, 2022, 4:00 pm.
As part of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet hiring process, successful candidates will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and submit a satisfactory Criminal Background Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.