Consensus provides the potential for more creative solutions depending on the extent to which each party can identify with the interests of other parties.
- Creates more durable and lasting solutions.
- Risk of future undermining of the decision is diminished.
- Builds commitment to implementation on the part of all involved – all participants share responsibility for success.
- Enhances the development of new partnerships and maintenance of valued relationships.
- Increase respect among participants.
- Improves understanding and tolerance of each affected person’s interests – dialogue between equals.
- Builds a sense of community unity instead of a collection of disparate individuals.
- Eliminates win-lose competitive outcomes; decisions are win-win.
- Provides regular opportunities to voice dissent – empowerment in the process.