Website Fernwood Publishing
Deadline: March 1, 2024
Fernwood is located in Manitoba and Nova Scotia and seeks a full-time publicity and promotions manager. The person in this position will work remotely in collaboration with other members of the team.
Develop and execute marketing and promotions plans.
- collaborate with marketing, sales and distribution manager and Fernwood team to develop and execute marketing and promotions plans and associated budget for each title and the overall season
- author relationships and communication
- develop and maintain strong relationships and communication with authors throughout the cycle of their books
- develop and maintain ongoing strong relationships and communication with community, media, industry, and others within Fernwood
- organize, host and publicize book launches, author signings, and other book events (online and in person as circumstances allow)
- provide technical skills for online events (Zoom, YouTube Creators Studio, Meta Business Suite)
- research opportunities and organize book tables/co-sponsorship for various events and conferences of interest to Fernwood in general and where a Fernwood author may be involved
- research opportunities and make submissions and pitches to relevant festivals and conferences
- participate in academic and community conferences, trade shows, professional development sessions, and publishing industry events as necessary
- create engaging and effective physical and digital press kits and publicity materials
- build and maintain relationships with mainstream and alternative media (digital and traditional) contacts and develop and maintain media lists
- organize and undertake media pitches to solicit book reviews, author interviews and other media coverage of Fernwood and its books
- maintain relationships with and follow up on all media contacts
- provide regular media updates to all sales and industry partners with and within Fernwood
- develop and maintain a strong online community associated with Fernwood’s radical publishing program utilizing all social media platforms (currently Instagram, X and Facebook)
- use social media to publicize events as well as to share media coverage, author activity, industry news, and relevant political content and activities, and direct sales traffic to the Fernwood website
- plan advertising campaign and book all ads for books in concurrence with the marketing team
Sales and Distribution
- participate in sales conferences as required
- plan and manage book award submissions
- participate in regular staff meetings, editorial meetings, and other meetings as necessary
- assistance with grant-writing and project plans as well as other tasks as needed
You will need:
- passion for the role of publishing in a politics of justice
- excellent communication and organizational skills, attention to detail, and an ability to prioritize competing tasks to meet demanding deadlines
- experience and understanding of book publicity and promotions
- proficiency with Excel, Word, Canva, Acrobat, Google Workspace and Analytics, Mailchimp, social media, and a willingness to learn other applications, such as Sync and FileMaker Pro
- self-motivation to manage and prioritize your own work
- an ability to work collaboratively in a unique workplace structure
- an ability to lift and move boxes of books and display materials
- an ability to work with a variety of authors and, at times, stressful situations
- an ability to respond to multiple demanding queries on the fly and prioritize
- an ability to generate creative and thoughtful long-term publicity projects in collaboration with the team
The application deadline is March 1, 2024.
The position is full-time and remote. Residence in or around Winnipeg is considered a strong preference. Residence in or around Halifax or Toronto would also be considered an asset.
The salary is $57,320 and includes a staff benefits package. The starting date is April 15, 2024.
Please send your cover letter and resumé as a single PDF file to email@example.com with the subject line “Publicity and Promotions Position.”
Fernwood is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage and actively seek applications from structurally disadvantaged communities. Given that Fernwood encourages and supports the professional development of its employees, we will consider applicants who express an interest in broadening their existing publicity and promotions skills through training opportunities relevant to this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest but regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of applications. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.