Members receive discounts on Creative Manitoba courses, classes and workshops.
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Are you an artist or arts administrator in need of a website but you’re not a coder?
Whether you already have a website that needs reworking, or you’re starting from scratch, this is the place for you. No coding needed to make a basic website. (Please note that this course does not cover highly customized design needs.)
This course will pick up from the pre-requisite course “Designing Websites for Artists eCourse”. If you have not taken the online course, please do so by May 24, 2019: https://creativemanitoba.ca/events/designingwebsites/
Starting with the plan you developed in that course, we will build your website using WordPress.
- Easy interface to add, update, and move around content
- Lots of features and plugins
- Works with all e-commerce sites
- Great for blogging (improves SEO)
- Huge community that loves to help – including WordPress Winnipeg Meetups every month at Creative Manitoba
- Always evolving with technology and staying at the top of the curve
There are two kinds of WordPress sites: WordPress.com and WordPress.org. We will create a WordPress.com website.
Read about both here: https://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/
If you have an existing WordPress site, you may still find value in the class. Past participants have appreciated gaining a basic understanding of how WordPress works and learning how to use the dashboard. Please email Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to register for the course without taking the prerequisite planning eCourse.
Websites normally cost $1500 or more to hire a developer or take months to create on your own. You will have your basic site completed in 2 days for a fraction of the cost.
What to expect from the course:
The course will include teaching and hands-on instruction with WordPress and website experts.
Day 1: June 1, 2019, 10am – 4pm
- Sign up for a WordPress.com account and basic tour of the dashboard
- Based on your plan from the prerequisite course, the class and instructors will help you pick a great template design (theme)
- Learn how to create pages for your website
Day 2: June 2, 2019, 10am – 4pm
- Create your menu structure, add custom features, and set up your custom domain so it doesn’t end in wordpress.com
- Learn how to add content: photos, blog posts, etc.
- Individual time to work on your site along with the help of classmates and the instructor
- A laptop to work on
- Any photos or files you want to include on your website in an organized file
- All your materials from the Designing Websites for Artists eCourse
- A credit card in case you choose to do any WordPress.com upgrades to have a more polished and professional site (such as removing wordpress.com from your domain and removing ads)
Course instructor: Don Betts is a freelance website designer and developer who uses WordPress to create website solutions for his clients. He has a background working for not-for-profit organizations where he first started making websites. He has been building websites using WordPress for 8 years and has been active in the Winnipeg WordPress community. Don’s passion for matching good design with the goals of his clients has given him many opportunities to work with amazing people and organizations. He works primarily with small businesses and not-for-profit organizations.
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Creative Manitoba reserves the right to cancel or postpone any event where a minimum registration level has not been met. Participants registered for an event that is cancelled by Creative Manitoba will receive a full refund.
Registrants may cancel up to one week before the event to receive a full refund. No refunds will be issued to registrants who cancel within one week of the event start date. No refunds will be issued for registrants who do not attend.
Substitute participants are allowed in most cases, but not all. Please check with us ahead of time if you wish to send a substitute participant by calling 204-927-2787.
It is our intent that Creative Manitoba programs and events foster a supportive, nonthreatening environment for everyone to participate and share in - regardless of gender, ability, ethnicity or cultural differences. We ask that you please be welcoming and respectful of world views that differ from your own.